MILWAUKEE, June 13, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- (NYSE: MAN) – Job seekers around the world should expect to see more opportunities in the third quarter of 2017, according to the latest ManpowerGroup Employment Outlook Survey released today. Employers in 41 of 43 countries plan to add staff, with hiring confidence strongest in Japan, Taiwan, Hungary and the United States, while employers in Italy, the Czech Republic and Finland report the weakest hiring prospects. Despite the uncertainties associated with recent and upcoming European elections – as well as ongoing Brexit negotiations – most European employers anticipate job gains between July and September.
View complete Q3 2017 survey results: www.manpowergroup.com/meos
Of more than 58,000 employers surveyed across 43 countries and territories:
- Employers expect increased staffing levels in 41 countries and territories in Q3 2017.
- When compared to Q2 2017, hiring prospects have strengthened in 17 countries and territories, are unchanged in 10 and decline in 16.
- Confidence levels have strengthened year-on-year in 26 countries and territories and are unchanged in two.
"The economic and labor market outlook in many parts of the world has improved in the past quarter, most notably in Europe," said Jonas Prising, Chairman & CEO, ManpowerGroup. "The evolution we're seeing in the European labor market is very similar to what we experienced a few years ago with the recovery in the United States. Globally, employer hiring intent is showing signs of progress, all in the context of what continues to be a slow growth environment with some political uncertainty added to the mix. At the same time, we're seeing technological disruption continue at pace. With this employment outlook optimism, people need to get ready for new jobs and new skills. Now is the time to fast track the upskilling and reskilling of people to ensure we have a workforce with the skills required for the future."
Global Hiring Plans by Region
- EMEA: Staffing levels are expected to grow in 23 of 25 countries surveyed. Employers in Hungary, Turkey and Romania report the strongest hiring plans in the EMEA region and employers in Italy, the Czech Republic and Finland report the weakest.
- In the UK, employer hiring continues to be conservative in the face of uncertainty around Brexit negotiations and the general election. The Q3 Outlook is similar to the prior quarter and last year at this time, with modest job growth anticipated in most industry sectors and regions.
- French employers report positive hiring intentions for the fifth consecutive quarter. Despite high unemployment, employers are still grappling with a lack of qualified workers. New President Macron's focus on upskilling workers could provide greater mobility and help employers find the skilled workers they need.
- Asia Pacific: Hiring is expected to increase in all eight Asia Pacific countries and territories during Q3 2017. Hiring sentiment is strongest in Japan and Taiwan, while the weakest Outlooks are reported in China and Singapore.
- Japan's strongest hiring pace in more than nine years is forecast for the third quarter of 2017, with a robust Outlook expected in the Mining & Construction and Transportation & Utilities sectors.
- The labor market slowdown in India is expected to continue in Q3, following six consecutive quarters of steady decline. Indian employers are reporting their weakest Outlook since the survey began in Q3 2005.
- Americas: Positive Outlooks are reported in all 10 countries surveyed and U.S. employers report the most optimistic hiring intentions across the Americas region as a whole. The weakest Outlooks are reported in Brazil and Peru, although Brazil's report is its first positive Outlook in more than two years.
- Employers across the United States are positive but continue to exercise caution as economic uncertainty persists. Nearly one in four (24%) employers plan to hire in Q3 and another 70% anticipate their headcount will remain unchanged.
To view complete results for the ManpowerGroup Employment Outlook Survey, visit www.manpowergroup.com/meos. The next survey will be released 12 September 2017 and will report hiring expectations for Q4 2017. To receive the latest survey results each quarter, sign up here.
ManpowerGroup® (NYSE: MAN), the leading global workforce solutions company, helps organizations transform in a fast-changing world of work by sourcing, assessing, developing and managing the talent that enables them to win. We develop innovative solutions for over 400,000 clients and connect 3+ million people to meaningful, sustainable work across a wide range of industries and skills. Our expert family of brands – Manpower®, Experis®, Right Management® and ManpowerGroup® Solutions – creates substantially more value for candidates and clients across 80 countries and territories and has done so for nearly 70 years. In 2017, ManpowerGroup was named one of the World's Most Ethical Companies for the seventh consecutive year and one of Fortune's Most Admired Companies, confirming our position as the most trusted and admired brand in the industry. See how ManpowerGroup is powering the future of work: www.manpowergroup.com
For further information: Chelsey Orlikowski, ManpowerGroup, +1 414 906 7320, firstname.lastname@example.org